Litter and Dog Poop…It’s amazing to me how this is an issue. It is so simple to throw your trash in a garbage can or pick up your dogs poop, but yet these things still remain a major issue in our world. We all live on planet earth and we are all neighbors. We share this planet with other human beings, with wildlife, with plants and water, soil and dirt. All of these things make up our home here on earth, and we are sure doing our part at destroying this home.
Every little thing we do matters and we must work together at making this world a better place. The reason I have combined litter and dog poop in this post is because every day I witness both of these things on my daily walks to the park with my daughter. There are so many other things that are destroying this planet as well, but for this post I would like to focus on these two issues.
On our very short walk from our house to the park, the amount of trash I see is uncanny. Some places are better than others, but rest assured there is litter everywhere. I feel personally disrespected because this litter can hurt myself and/or my child.
Here are some interesting facts about littering:
- The items most frequently found during cleaning litter is fast food wrappers.
- Fast food trash is one the most common items I see on our walks.
- The second item most common is aluminum beer cans, followed very closely by soda cans.
- Yup, I always see beer and soda cans in the bushes. I am so happy my family does not eat fast food or drink any beer or soda. It is not only bad for our health, but clearly for the environment.
- Cigarette butts are the most littered item in the world and are toxic to the environment. (see my post on smoking)
- Nevaeh is always trying to pick these up, they are everywhere on our walks.
- Litter also damage crops and destroy natural areas.
- Kill or harms our animals! Many small animals crawl into bottles or jars and stuck and slowly starve to death. Animals caught in plastic six-pack rings, plastic bags, fishing line and a lot of throwaways.
- You don’t have to tell me twice that litter is killing and hurting our wildlife!
- The fact that littering is a problem can be controlled. Education is an essential tool. People who are aware of the dangers of litter often make more of an effort to always put their garbage right place.
- I hope you find this article an educational tool, so the next time you think about throwing your trash to the ground, maybe you will think twice.
- Effects Farmers and ranchers; Cows and other animals can die from ingesting other substances such as metals and glass to the top.
To see the whole detailed list, see here http://www.dailyworldfacts.com/littering-facts/ .
This litter is very disturbing as my child or any other child could easily pick this up and get seriously hurt…hospital here we come!
Not to mention how our litter is literally destroying our oceans and marine life. According to Emma Snowden, project officer of the Marine Conservation Society, “Of all the hazardous materials littering our seas today, plastic poses the greatest threat.” Plastic bottles, bags, and even balloons are causing extreme damage to our marine life.
Here are a couple videos of people removing litter from turtles noses (straw & fork), this is your litter people! My stomach twisted while watching these videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH878t78bw – straw
Worldwide, it is estimated that roughly one million birds and 100,000 marine mammals and sea turtles die each year by becoming trapped in plastic or by eating it. It is one of the largest threats to whales and dolphins everywhere. In addition to picking up the litter, you can also start by using less plastic products. Most plastic contain harmful toxins, like BPA, PVC and Phthalates, so using less plastic is better all around for the environment and your household.
We have to start thinking outside of ourselves and realize how our litter is damaging our earth. We have an obligation to ourselves and the world around us, and instead of nurturing this planet, we are destroying it.
Society should not have to pick up after your mess, please clean up after yourself and make the world a better place.
If you own a dog and you always pick up after your dog poops, I applaud you! This morning, my daughter picked up dog poop at the park. I was horrified! Please don’t ask me, “Well, why weren’t you watching her?” I was one step behind her and could not see the poop. Of course she picked up the poop, but because I was right there she was not able to put that poop in her mouth.
If you always picked up after your dog, then I would not have to worry about the disease infested poop that my child might ingest. As my dear friend said, “it is like allowing your child to poop in the middle of the floor and just walking around it.” I could not have said it better myself.
If you own a dog, it is your responsibility to clean up after them. Not having a bag is no excuse, please be prepared every time you take your dog on a walk to clean up after them. My child should not have to suffer because of your negligence. Also the bottom of my shoe, or the wheel of my stroller is not a good place for your dogs’ poop either. Please keep our public spaces clean.
On our morning walk, dog poop in the middle of the trail and dog poop surrounding the sides of the trail. I cannot let my child wander off the path, it is like poop landmines at every step! Off the trail is not good enough either, just PICK IT UP!
These are things I am very passionate about, the main reason being is because it is about respect. Respect for other people and respect for this planet. We all share this world and we are destroying it. There are things we can do to help, and they are so simple.
Clean up after yourself (and your dog), respect the next person who will be walking the same path as you. Think about how it effects the people around you, the animals around you and the world around you. We can make a difference. Let’s stand together. Let’s fight for our planet and ourselves. We all have to live here, so why don’t we all work together to make it the best home it can be!