Let me start off by saying, I do not believe in a cold and flu “season”. The cold and flu, along with other sicknesses, are here year round. The reason we see an increase during the “Winter Months” is because majority of the population are not being exposed to adequate sunlight, therefore we see a significant decrease in Vitamin D. Vitamin D is crucial to help us fight off things like cold and flu. It makes perfect sense that as our Vitamin D levels drop, the rate of cold and flu increase.
So I decided to write a post to help everyone out to stay as healthy as possible during the winter months!
- Vitamin D
- Health & Exercise
- Elderberry Syrup
- Vitamin D
- As I mentioned above, I don’t believe in cold & flu season. Our vitamin D has been proven to be directly linked to our health. During the winter, we have less sun exposure, thus our vitamin D levels drop. Because of this, you see a spike in sicknesses.
- The picture above is what I use for vitamin D supplement. I put a drop in mine and my daughter’s oatmeal or smoothie
- Here is a link to a study that shows vitamin D decreasing the incidence of the flu
- Eat Healthy & Exercise!
- Loading your body full of nutrients is a great start to avoid getting sick. Taking a multivitamin to fill any gaps can be beneficial as well.
- Adequate exercise is always beneficial to the body and mind
- Load up on that RAW garlic!
- Garlic is a food that fights infections from bacteria and viruses. Garlic stimulates the immune system cells that destroy the common cold and flu
- Raw garlic has the best effect, no garlic supplement can even compare. So go buy some whole garlic and chop it up. Or if you’re like me and don’t have time anymore, due to an active toddler, buy it already minced.
- Here is a study that shows the benefits of garlic and colds. This study used a pill form of garlic, which is not nearly as effective as the real thing. So get some raw garlic! Below is what I buy from Sprouts. I use to mince up garlic cloves, but since having a baby, I don’t have much time to dedicate to peeling and chopping.
RECIPE IDEA: Mash up half an avocado (another super food!) with at least a teaspoon of garlic and a pinch of Himalayan salt. Get your favorite bread and toast it. Slather the avocado/garlic mix onto the toast and voila! You have an amazing immunity booster!
This is the garlic I use almost everyday! I buy it from Sprouts.
Any avocado will do! I do not buy organic avocado because it is one of the safest non-organic produce because it’s thick skin prevents pesticides from getting through.
Oh yum! Himalayan salt is not only anti-infective (making it tough for pathogens to survive), but it also helps with migraines (in case you were wondering)!
This is by far my favorite bread! It is delicious and loaded full of protein and nutrients.
- According to this website, “onions contain quercetin, a nutrient that breaks up mucus in your head and chest while boosting your immune system. When the smell of raw onions makes your nose run and your eyes tear up, this stimulates your immune system to fight infection. Onions also contain allicin which slows down and kills a variety of viruses and bacteria. The pungency of onions increases your blood circulation and makes you sweat. This effect is helpful during cold weather to prevent infections and to sweat out a cold or flu.”
- I chop up a white onion when I feel a cold coming on and put it in my room at night. This has helped tremendously at fighting off colds, or shortening the duration of a cold (for both me and my daughter).
5. Elderberry Syrup
- I wish I had discovered Elderberry Syrup sooner! The benefits are amazing. We get sick less often, and when we do get sick it is much shorter and not as severe
- Here is a study showing the benefits of Elderberry and the flu. Oh, and here is another!
- I add a serving size amount to our oatmeal in the mornings and in our smoothies.
Here is one of the kids formula I use. I tend to buy different varieties each time to see which I like best. Typically, I would buy organic, but that can be quite pricey. One day I hope to make it from scratch, but until then this will have to do.
So far during these winter months, I have had one really minor cold, but my husband and daughter have been sick free! I swear by the above natural remedies for cold and flu.
I’d love to hear from you about any natural remedies that have proved to be successful!
I share purely because I care.